Amsterdam

lunes, 19 de marzo de 2012

I went to meet Jim at Schiphol Airport. I finally saw his face a year later: slimmer, short haired, same beard, really bright smile. I didn't quite understand at the time what was going on, and perhaps I still don't get it.


I didn't know what to do. Should we shake hands? Just say hi? Should we kiss? We had a kiss in the cheek, just that. Altough we both wanted something else.

I asked several times if he wanted help with his bag. He just let me carry his petite guitar (let me clarify this: it is not a ukelele). And at some point, walking throught the hall, to the station, we hugged. I could tell he was really pleased, he smelled my hair.

We took the train to Centraal Station. He was like a little boy, looking outside the windows, amazed. I was surprised. I mean, he already knew Amsterdam, so... Why is it so incredible to him?

- Homes, houses, cars. The trams. This is beauty - he said-. I can't wait to reach the canals, and Damplatz.

Damplatz was my everyday life, nothing serious. Then he mentioned something about going to Volendam. Which of course I agreed, coz it's a really nice town.

- Please, can we go to the Rijksmuseum? - He said.

He knew that i do not enjoy going to museums.

When we reached Centraal Station, we hopped off and went to the street. The sunset was really stunning. It was not cloudy, and that's rare in Amsterdam at this time of the year. But somehow, the sky was clear.

He just stood, and cried. He was disarmed, completely shocked,

- Is there somethig wrong? - I asked-. What happens?

I hate it when I don't understand what is going on. And I was clueless about Jimmy. I even thought that he was crying about someone else, that bothered me.

- I'm alright. It's just that I thought I would never come back here, and...

He could not even finish the sentence.

Somehow, we hugged again, what this time it was really strong. He was still carrying his backpack, really heavy, so my arms could not get around his body. It felt like being faraway, but getting closer. So close.

He looked at me, maybe for the first time since he arrived. He kissed me, in a really slow gesture which I loved so much. I understood a little: he was really touched by being in Amsterdam, but I didn't know exactly why.

He smiled., I love to see a nice smile after a kiss, so close you know. It's not so common to see happyness right there in font of you, hugging you.

I believe we stood there like ten minutes before we could reach the tram and get home. We stayd home, talked til pass midnight. I believe we told each other our whole lifes, and I understood a little bit more: he loves this city and he was really happy to be back and "in really good company", he said.

0 comentarios: